Season 2, Episode 20: Opposites Attract

Image result for opposites attract power rangers
"Opposites Attract"
Episode 20
Air Date: October 25th, 1994

You know Billy has come a LONG way since he wasn't able to fight off even one Putty at the beginning of the series. So it's just shocking and plain awesome to see him able to handle Goldar and a squad of Putties unmorphed!!! That fight sequence just kicked ass and made this episode even more enjoyable to me. Yes, I'm surprised by how much "Opposites Attract" was enjoyable. Outside more terrible ADR work for Trini, Zack and Jason, the episode was edited better than usual. The main plot with Lord Zedd going after Billy's magnetic polarizer wasn't as bad as I would have thought it would be. Magnet Brain was a decent monster in design and I like how his powers worked by off setting the magnetic balance of the Earth; making things tip over and stick together. It was kind of cool and entertaining.

The fight with Magnet Brain wasn't bad either, if you'll ignore that awkward posing from the rangers before it. I'm glad we are getting more American in-suit fight footage. Since the writers didn't use the suits from Dairanger for Season 2 (except for the White Ranger), it forced production to have to focus on more American made fight footage and for the most part, it ain't bad.  The editing like I said between that and the footage of Magnet Brain was consistent enough that it didn't bother. I thought the sequence with the rangers using the Power Blaster to destroy Magnet Brain would look dumb. I was preparing it to look awful...but it wasn't bad. Probably one of the better editing moments in a season that has had terrible editing so far.  Tommy's fight with Goldar on the other hand, too much wire work and obvious mimicking of Kung Fu movies. It's a shame though, Goldar keeps getting owned. He isn't the intimidating general from the first season like he use to be!!! Shame!!

The megazord battle of course was fine if not a bit quick, I just love seeing the Mega Thunderzord in action as well as that megazord summoning sequence. This episode is also bittersweet as it marks the end of seeing the original 5 together in original footage instead of archive footage for the remainder of the episodes leading up to the Power Transfer. It's a shame really as I'm gonna miss seeing the first 5 rangers together. I mean we've been following them for over 70 episodes now, which is A LOT of time to get to know them. I mean did they really have to leave instead of Bulk and Skull who continue to annoy the living hell out of me. I mean that whole scene with them being attacked by clearly someone in a bear costume. So pathetic. Oh well..... But like I said the episode was pretty solid to the point where even the introduction of Billy's new love interest, Laura, was sweet and subtle instead of being shoved down our throats. As for the departing cast members....May the power protect them I guess!!! Especially said as we'll never get to see them again, well at least Jason will be back for Zeo!!! :(

Final Morph: B- 

Comments

Popular Posts