Season 4, Episode 12: Instrument of Destruction

Image result for instrument of destruction power rangers zeo
"Instrument of Destruction"
Episode 12
Air Date: May 7th, 1996

Awww, an episode that tries to make me care about Bulk and especially Skull. So Skull is suppose to be some expert pianist when it comes to classical music??? I guess we've seen more absurd storylines on this show at this point and I GUESS I'll give the writers credit for trying to give these two idiots some depth again. But then again, why was Skull running around with a hood and a cape??? O_o I mean that was just over the top and cheesy beyond belief. But then again, Power Rangers, so what do I expect. I did enjoy the lesson of true friendship that was being presented as Skull was afraid of not only being mad fun of for his talent but of Bulk possibly humiliating him by finding out the truth. Turns out after Skull performs his classical rendition of.....whatever he played, Bulk is actually really proud of him as they share a brief yet touching moment on stage. It's nice to see that their friendship really authentic and that even though those two make fun of other people's dorky behavior; they still respect each other when they find out new things about each other; even things they don't agree with.

Anyway, the main plot of the episode deals with King Mondo and Prince Sprocket wanting to surprise Queen Machina are her birthday with a present by having the Cogs steal this mysteriously wonderful pianist. I have to say I don't know where they shot the new interior high school shots but it's fun and exciting to see new areas of Angel Grove High. It's nice since it makes it look like the teens are going to an actual school and not the same sets all the time. We even get a cool Angel Grove High fight between Tommy, Kat and Adam vs the Cogs. It's a refreshing setting for a fight and I believe it's the only fight on the show to take place at Angel Grove High. But did we really have to focus on Adam for this. I'm sorry, I know I give him and Rocky a hard time but my good these guys are dull, boring and severely underwritten character. Isn't it sad that we already have a good sense of who Tanya is yet still wonder what Adam and especially Rocky's characteristics are???

Anyway, when the Cogs keep failing to get Skull, Mondo sends in the monster of the day, the Instrument of Destruction aka Fortissimodo. A monster that they fight outside of the Angel Grove Symphony in an awesome setting for a Sentai footage fight scene. When the monster is made to grow by Klank (not "Clank", sorry) and Orbis, they summon their Zeo Zords to attack him while Tommy uses the Defender Wheel to free Adam when the monster grabs him by the hand. When freed, the two rangers finish off the Cogs before entering their zords to form the Zeo Megazord alongside the other rangers to battle the monster. Once the use their Zeo Megazord Saber, they defeat the monster par tradition. Overall, "Instrument of Destruction" isn't bad nor is it that great. It does a fine job of making me appreciate Bulk and Skull's character growth before I start hating them again in next episode and I know I will. :)

Final Morph: C+

Comments

Popular Posts