A Debut Straight From The Bronx!!!

Image result for on the 6
On The 6 (1999)

1. "If You Had My Love"
So! Let's go back to 1999 when the Latin Explosion happened and Jennifer came out with this gem of a hit! "If You Had My Love" is a strong debut single from J. Lo with her singing about the possibilities of falling for a potential love interest and her contemplating whether she should trust him. The song is boosted by a great video with an excellent dance break that choreographed by the wonderful Tina Landon. But it's Jennifer's effortless precision and execution that made that moment in the video that much more memorable. Also, who could forget the webcams and earlier internet modem sounds, lol. Oh how I miss my childhood. This is a real nice opener to the album.
(B+)

2. "Should've Never"
Ummm...this is quite the slow track...I mean I know it's ballad but there is now power or emotion behind it that makes the lyrics standout. Jennifer doesn't sound very convincing here and almost sounds bored. Which in return makes me bored listening to it. It is I who should've never listened to this song. Not to mention, the song is over 6 minutes long!! [eek] I mean a song that long should be exciting or at least entertaining...but no...it just drags on...leaving nothing to the imagination except wanting to reach over for a pillow. Oh the shade has come early and is here to stay! [cool]
(D+)

3. "Too Late"
More R&B-isms and Spanish guitar playing. Jennifer continues to bore me with her stale singing and the production is hitting epic generic proportions!! I can't even talk about the lyrics as Jennifer sounds like she is barely singing them and is just mumbling them out. Just a weak track overall. More like it was too late for this album to be good!
(D+)

4. "Feelin' So Good" Remix (Featuring Big Pun and Fat Joe)
YAY!!! A decent song!! Now "Feelin' So Good" wasn't a big single from the album, only becoming somewhat of a moderate hit but at least the production has a nice groove to it and is a good enough club jam. Sure, Jennifer's vocals are still a bit inconsistent but at least this song isn't putting me to sleep. The video for the single was also nice, with another awesome dance break, which could possibly be my favorite dance sequence from Jennifer in the video. I also like the all Latin mash up here with the Fat Joe and the late Big Pun coming in for some solid rap verses. Sad how Pun never got to see the video get released since he died but this is a nice farewell to the small music legacy he built.
(C+)

5. "Let's Get Loud"
Well, this is a pleasant surprise!! What makes "Let's Get Loud" stand out is not just it's energetic Latin production but it's the fact that Jennifer is singing with a sense of confidence that has been missing from the majority of the album so far. She seems more comfortable singing music that emphasizes her Puerto Rican roots and she more than holds her own against the Spanish instrumentation here. Thank You Jennifer!! Now, can we get more tracks like this from you instead of you going on about knowing better and your lover being too late, because [i]this[/i] is fun!! [yes]
(B+)

6. "Could This Be Love" Mick G Mix (Featuring Mick Guzauski)
...sigh...Guess who's bored again?! This guy right here!! And now we are back to our regular scheduled programming of "Really Jennifer?!" [roll] I mean come on, the lukewarm Spanish guitar playing, the lazy instrumental and more unconvincing singing!! I'm really not trying to bash Jennifer cause I love her but song's like this are just pitiful. Who picked these songs to be on the album?! Here first fiancée?! The shade has cometh again!! [cool]
(D+)

7. "No Me Ames" Tropical Remix (Featuring Marc Anthony)
Awwww, aren't these two just cute!? This is a nice collaboration from the two future lovebirds with some strong Spanish instrumentation and even Jennifer seem more alert with her singing here. I guess Marc brought that out of her and they sound good together. ...Don't understand what either of them are saying but the tone in their voices sounds romantic and the chemistry is oozing from my speakers as I listen to it. A major improvement over the last track! That's all I wanted!! 
(B+
)

8. "Waiting For Tonight" (Featuring Richie Jones)
If this wasn't one of the biggest club anthems at the turn of the millennium, I don't know what was!! From the pop/techno beat to Jennifer's slightly altered vocals, it all comes together so well. I have to say this is honestly one of Jennifer's best songs because it shows early signs of the music genre she would soon excel at: dance-pop. This has to be one of her most memorable hits and one that the year 2000 can be thankful it help usher in!! 
(A-)

9. "Open Off My Love"
Ok, we get a funk Latin assisted production with a lightweight pop/R&B beat, not bad...but not good either. I mean this is ok. At least Jennifer sounds decent on the one. I guess I can say I like the instruments being played on the track but the lyrics are of the "there is not pointing in listening to them" variety. But like most of the album, this could have been left out as it has "please skip me" written all over it!
(C)

10. "Promise Me You'll Try"
Zzzzzz......What happened!?....Oh, I was reviewing this album! Ok, so...this song is another snoozefest!! Jennifer sings a ballad as convincingly as Donald Trump runs for President! There! I said it! Now let's all move along from this dull song. Just...no! Kill it with fire!!! 
(D)

11. "It's Not That Serious"
...Ummm, Jennifer, I think you shouldn't be so concerned with your man and him playing you as this album needs more of your attention. This has that sassy late 90s/early 00s R&B flavor to it...but with Jennifer singing it, as usual, I'm not convinced. What is up with her on this album?! Did she have some nerves or something but this is just unflattering in terms of her artistry but I'm getting ahead of myself and should save that portion of my analysis for after I'm done reviewing the album's tracks. But this song sucks!! 
(D)

12. "Talk About Us"
....Ok...I'm running out of things to say...which is NEVER a good sign!! This song is like a song you would expect from Britney at the time but with Jennifer...this cutesy pop balladry is like watching milk go bad. Just torturous and drawn out! I just can't anymore, this album...wow!!! 
(D-)

13. "No Me Ames" Ballad Version
I only like this song because these two still sound good together but did we really need another version of the song!? I mean I guess another version of a good song at this point is better than the straight mediocrity that has become the unfortunate offspring of this album!! I'll take it....I'll take it harder than Lindsay Lohan taking another hit!
(C+)

14. "Una Noche Mas"
Ahhh the Spanish version of "Waiting For Tonight"!!! Once again, I'll take it. Better than most of the album and the production is still nice. This time I know what she's saying cause there's an English version too!! Yeah, whatever shut up! I'm sure you like this album, so I'm not the only special one! 
(B)

15. "Balia" (From the film "Music of the Heart")
Ummmm, ok, this is ok and once again, this album has done far worse so anything that sounds remotely harmless is good to me! I mean I guess this was a good song from the soundtrack so decided to put it on the album. Oh I don't care anymore, I'm going to the last track ok!? See you all there!
(C)

16. "Theme From Mahagony (Do You Know Where You're Going To?)"
You know, I think the reason I like this is because it's a classic song from an iconic movie that featured the legendary Diana Ross. Jennifer's rendition manages to not totally mess this up seriously!! This is a nice end to an album that's quality has been literally ALL over the place.
(B)

So! Like I said before, let's all go back to 1999 where people were freaking out about the new millennium, teen pop was taking over and an up-in-coming actress named Jennifer Lopez was getting cold feet about her singing career...at least that's what it sounds like based on the album. This has to be one of the most uneven debut albums I've heard from a female popstar so far when it comes to the artists I've reviewed so far. You can almost hear the uncertainty in Jennifer's voice on most of these tracks as she seems to be very nervous and unsure of how to delivery the material on the album.  It's a shame as the songs that feature the most of her Hispanic roots/influences is where she sounds the most comfortable like the boisterous Latin flare of "Lets Get Loud" or her delightful duet with Marc Antony on "No Me Ames".  During this period in the late 20th century, the Latin explosion was taking over with the likes of not only Jennifer, but Marc Antony, Enrique Inglesis and especially Ricky Martin with "Livin' La Vida Loca". Jennifer's transition to music couldn't have come at a better time with her role in Selena inspiring her to pursue that aspect of her career. But like I said, for her first album, Jennifer is seriously missing that mesmerizing star power she had in her films as her music just feels dry and stale. While the singles are pretty strong, the rest of the album just falls apart; it's like the producers really failed Jennifer when it came to how really bring out the best in her. Which is a shock because at the time, you had the likes of P. Diddy and Rodney "Darkchild" Jenkins helping out with the composition of the album.  I just wish they really worked hard on Jennifer or at least got her some voice lessons before she entered the studio for relatively the first time. Well, whatever the case, the album was a moderate success; landing at number 8 on the BB 200 and going on to sell over 8 million copies worldwide. "If You Had My Love", "Waiting For Tonight" and "Let's Get Loud" would go on to become some of her most memorable hits. But as an album, "On The 6" was not a good start Jenny from the Block, not at all. 

"An debut album that heavily suffers from weak vocals, lackluster productions and poorly realized music, "On The 6" is not the best introduction to this Latin superstar that transfixed our eyes on the screen with roles like "Out of Sight" and "Selena".
(C-)

Comments

Popular Posts